So this morning my kids missed the bus. Catherine had just said, 'Okay, how much time do I have', when I looked out the window and saw it drive by. I hate the idea of nagging my kids constantly in the morning to get them out the door on time. I do help them some with their lunches and morning chores if they ask and I am generally there, but they know it is their job to watch the clock and ensure they are out the door on time. The rule is if they miss the bus, they have to walk (which takes them about 25 min). Surprisingly, they have only missed it once before since beginning to ride the bus in December.
Well, today they took off at 20 minutes 'til. I told them if they hurried they might make it to school on time. I was planning to give them a 10 minute head start and then go secretly tail them in the car. Mostly for my peace of mind that they made it. So I began cleaning up the dishes from breakfast when I got a dreadful feeling of anxiety. I couldn't shake it so I quickly finished up, grabbed my bag and jumped in the car. It had only been maybe 5 minutes, but I had to navigate 3 turns before spotting them up ahead. They were jogging along trying to beat the tardy bell. So cute. My mind calmed, thinking I was silly to have gotten so worked up. So I followed them for 10 more minutes, but realizing they weren't going to make it on time and seeing they were being such good sports about the whole thing I pulled up and offered a ride. Catherine told me that early on a man had stopped and asked if they wanted a ride. He said he was taking his son anyway. Catherine told me,' I didn't see anyone else in the car, but I told him we were fine and we just kept walking'.
So it might very well have been a nice guy wanting to help out, but it makes me sick to think of what kinds of things could happen to my kids when I'm not there. I'll admit that I have days when I have a hard time with my kids all being in school now... that I don't know all what they are going through. Mostly though, I realize that I feel peace as I trust that the Lord will make it all right. Not that there won't be problems, but that when I need to be made aware of something, I trust that I will be. That if I'm trying my best to know God, that I will be able to feel his prompting that are always there. How grateful I am for that peace and knowledge of God's compassion.
Definitely one of those experiences that encourages faith. Glad everyone is okay!
ReplyDeleteBlessings of a righteous mother and well-taught children. How I love you all. Thanks for sharing this experience.
ReplyDelete