I often don't get to eat what I WANT for lunch because something is on the verge of going bad in the fridge and I can't stand waste, so I eat that instead. This is made more difficult by the fact that I always make too much for dinner so I have too many leftovers and that no one else in my family is willing to eat those things near expiration.
So today I noticed that I had 1/2 a head of cabbage that had been in there, well, since before Christmas. Luckily it is long lasting! I love cabbage and so I do occasionally make something out of it for dinner despite the fact that I get a lot of groans. I could tell this was probably the last week this cabbage had in it, but I also knew it was *Birthday Week* for Brandon and there was no way I could sneak it into a meal without Brandon feeling he'd been abused. So, of course, I cooked it all up and had a portion of it for lunch today. Scouring the fridge for something else on the verge that I could have with it I found some goat cheese that I got for a dish over christmas and still had a bit of left. Being a soft cheese, I figured time was not on my side, so in it went with the cabbage.
Can I just say...scruptious!? Mmmm. How did you sit in the fridge for so long together and not meet until today? How have I been blind to this opportunity for so many years? No longer. I will make it again and play around with spices, but today I will enjoy it plain and simple.
Who would have thought those two would get along so well?
ReplyDeleteI would never have thought to put those two together.
ReplyDeleteI do love me some cabbage too though!
I always end up eating leftovers for lunch too, and we still have leftover night once a week.
ReplyDeleteLove cabbage. Wish everyone else did!
Shannon