So, I've been without my husband, Milla and Sean since Thursday night. Not able to go to sleep without my honey, I was scanning netflix for something to distract me. Came across a documentary on Origami, which was advertised as a 'provocative odyssey into the mesmerizing world of modern origami'. I've always enjoyed my short experiences with origami, but never thought of it as 'provocative' or 'mesmerizing'. So I decided to give it a go. An hour has never gone so quickly. It was fascinating and motivating and everyone doing it just seemed so happy! I guess like anyone with a great passion...but I was just awed! Towards the end of the documentary it was talking about origami relating to mathmatical theories as well as practical applications. I turned off the TV and immediately got a piece of paper and attempted to replicate one of the simpler things the math guys were showing. So basically just paper folded into 4 triangles and then concentric rectangles from the center out...two sides of the rectangle folded identically, the other 2 reverse folded and so on. Shows how the paper naturally shapes into a pringle like curve...or it seems one of those ways they say the universe might be shaped or something. Anyhow. I was just excited my poorly creased paper actually began to take on the intended shape. Now what to do next?
12 November 2011
origami
So, I've been without my husband, Milla and Sean since Thursday night. Not able to go to sleep without my honey, I was scanning netflix for something to distract me. Came across a documentary on Origami, which was advertised as a 'provocative odyssey into the mesmerizing world of modern origami'. I've always enjoyed my short experiences with origami, but never thought of it as 'provocative' or 'mesmerizing'. So I decided to give it a go. An hour has never gone so quickly. It was fascinating and motivating and everyone doing it just seemed so happy! I guess like anyone with a great passion...but I was just awed! Towards the end of the documentary it was talking about origami relating to mathmatical theories as well as practical applications. I turned off the TV and immediately got a piece of paper and attempted to replicate one of the simpler things the math guys were showing. So basically just paper folded into 4 triangles and then concentric rectangles from the center out...two sides of the rectangle folded identically, the other 2 reverse folded and so on. Shows how the paper naturally shapes into a pringle like curve...or it seems one of those ways they say the universe might be shaped or something. Anyhow. I was just excited my poorly creased paper actually began to take on the intended shape. Now what to do next?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"Now what to do next?"
ReplyDeleteWell, you started out making the universe-- hard to go up from there :) Very cool CarrieAnn!