06 September 2013

Disappointment

So Brandon and I got called as Bear Den leaders about a month ago.  We were NOT excited about it, but accepted the call.  Mostly it is just that neither of us really know anything about scouts and fear of the unknown is generally, well, scary.  Turns out it is actually pretty fun.

So we found that we only have 3 boys right now, all of whom have passed off their bear and who will be turning 10 and leaving us by January.  And they are awesome.   Because we don't have to do the passing off things, we get to work on the fun belt loops.  The boys let us know what they are most interested in and we made up some plans.

Yesterday we finished up part 2 of the aviation belt loop, which involved 'building a model plane and flying it'.  We had gotten 3 of those foam/ rubberband powered planes to use.  And they were pretty cool looking: colored to be modeled after one of those earlier fighter planes painted with teeth on the front...  ANYWAY.  Thomas came with us and we had told him that if one of the boys didn't show up (which has been common), that he could build and fly the 3rd plane.  When we began only one boy was there, 15 minutes in a second showed up.  Thomas was looking pretty excited (I was a little bummed because this was going to be a fun meeting and I didn't want the boys to miss it).  So we spent some time reviewing forces that affect flight and the parts of a helicopter and how it works. 25 minutes after, in walks boy #3.  He'd missed most of our meetings, but I had specifically called and left a message for him inviting him out to this one so I was happy to see him.  Then I saw Thomas.  Little sweet eyes of sadness were forming as he realized what this meant.  Not wanting anyone to see him, though, we went over to the corner.  Brandon went to give him a hug and he suggested that if he did really good on his chores this month, that by the end he would have enough money to buy his own plane.  Thomas took this to heart and perked right back up.

I was so proud of him!  He decided to be positive and when he went to watch the boys flying their planes in the gym, he asked politely for a turn and the boys were nice enough to let him.

All's well that ends well.

2 comments:

  1. So sweet. Also, if you ever get called to young women's, I think you should do this same activity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 25 min in? That poor Thomas-- he probably thought he had it in the bag. Sounds like he's a good sport.

    And good for you guys jumping into Scouts. Yeah, when I was in the Primary pres. back in the day, I was over scouting. I never made it to a roundtable meeting, or really any meeting for that matter (except 1 blue and gold). I just couldn't love it. But, it is easier than RS pres, right? :)

    ReplyDelete