15 September 2012

My Thomas




  

So we had some friends visit from La Grande last weekend as the husband and Brandon attended the Bronco-Steelers game. (This friend is a long time Broncos fan.  I think he enjoyed the game a little more than Brandon).  Anyhow, earlier we were all chatting and the subject of Thomas came up.  I was trying to explain what Thomas is like and what he likes to do and, as well as I know Thomas, found it a difficult topic.  He loves to move but isn't really into sports, he likes having friends around but prefers his own company, he likes
...well the list of contradictions went on.  So today I saw these old pics on my phone and thought, this is Thomas.  He was off with my phone exploring (he did ask first).  Thomas learns visually and likes experiencing motion.  He studies details...the 4 sidewalk pics below are just a small sampling of the sidewalk pics he took at our old house.  The various face scrunchings above are self portraits.  Thomas loves spinning, being upside down, getting off balance, finding different ways to fall, jarring his bike this way and that as he rides (yes he is getting fairly comfortable riding after 3 weeks of 3 miles a day to school and back, and yes he has learned to start on his own, and yes he is loving it and YES he is scaring me!).  Good thing he is amazing at rolling out of a fall and rarely gets injured ("Don't worry, I'm okay!").  His favorite way to give hugs? He holds himself in an 'about to leap' stance 3 feet away from you and says, "wait for it, wait for it, wait for it..." and before you know it he has jumped into your arms.  Makes a person feel pretty special.






6 comments:

  1. That's a very sweet and thoughtful write-up. Its articulateness helps me get to know a nephew I don't get to see often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should also add that falling well is a skill I think I've always had, and it definitely comes in handy. -- Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that most likely, the reason none of us kids ever had a broken bone was (except for my graceful fall out of the bunkbed)was because we never did anything adventurous enough to warrant it! But now that I think about it, you were quite active,huh? Lacrosse alone should have gotten you some major scar. ;) I agree that being able to fall well is a huge skill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of Parkour? I wonder if Thomas would like it. Fun post :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lys- I had never heard of Parkour but looked it up...looks right up Thomas' alley. Found a place with summer camps for 5-11 yr olds. Might be something to try for fun!

    ReplyDelete