I just wanted to write a note about what a wonderful husband I have. Date night last week I was craving French Onion Soup...you know with the bread wedged in the top of the bowl, the rich soup soaking in from below and the cheese layered on top. Bubbling golden perfection. Ahhh.
Could not find it anywhere. So sad. Forward to Saturday when Brandon comes home, ingredients in hand and makes me up a big batch. Took over an hour to get the onions caramelized to deep brown wonderfulness and for the flavors to all blend. He's very patient. So not only does my house smell wonderful, but no one else here likes the soup so I get it every day this week. I have some under the broiler as I write this.
So I'll be signing off now...

Wow! I seem to have this uncanny food link with my siblings dating back to the day Andrew and I bought Ovaltine for the first time on the same day though living in different states.
ReplyDeleteSo I too was craving French Onion Soup last week. Since it is too hot to turn on the broiler we just had toast with it and it was good, but not quite so satisfying. As soon as it cools off this is definitely on the menu!
We got your books in the mail yesterday. Eva loves Charlie the Horse so I'm not sure it's getting passed on any time soon. Thank you! The KinderCare program looks like fun.
I often think I want that soup, but then when I taste it its inevitably too strong for me.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous husband you have!
UMMMMM...what a treat.
ReplyDeleteMom
Shannon- that is so cool...the food link. Makes me happy to know we were enjoying soup together.
ReplyDeleteCarrie
A few years ago we bought 8 french onion soup bowls after finding them on a ridiculous sale at some random store. We've made the soup from scratch exactly once and it took way longer than I expected, but was absolutely delectable!
ReplyDeleteUsually we cheat and use the canned Progresso soup, adding the bread and cheese to bake, but we too have talked about cooking up a batch recently. Maybe it's time!
Another fun fact: Cherry and I had french onion soup on our first dates when we went to eat at a French bistro in DC. It's when she learned I was vegetarian (since I couldn't share her mussels) and the soup was about the only non-meat entree in the place. I say entree because it was a big bowl and the layer of cheese was super thick. She still laughs at me for having had to eat my soup with a fork and knife.
Brandon's soup looks great! If you ever come to Baltimore, we'll have to take you to our nearby favorite, Petit Louis for some of their fantastic French onion soup.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! We'll take you up on that.
ReplyDeleteDon't think I'll forget that promise.
ReplyDelete