No doubt you have all been anxiously awaiting a garden update from the Eyre household...I had NO IDEA almost a year had passed since the last one. I will make it up to you here. Ask next time! ;)
This post will be all garden, so stop here if this holds no interest for you. Fair warning.
I didn't think I'd have anytime to garden this year. 'Just keep it simple', is what I said. Well, apparently gardening is the one thing that soothes my soul, whether things go as planned or not. So I garden on and take joy in every little bud and cry for all that is lost. Or is stagnant. It's all okay.
This spring I finished my installing my hardscaping plan from last year (see post from Sept '16 if you want a refresher!) and then filled it in with a plethora of plants. It's one of those things that you are glad you didn't realize how much work it would be from the start, or you never would have started. It's not crazy fancy, but it's mine. And considering how small my yard is, it feels good and happy and relaxing. I installed a large flat rock on one side so that I would have a place to sit and meditate or read. Which works really well until the neighbors let their little yippers out and they feel the need to make sure everyone is aware of my presence. Smile.
 |
THE LEFT
|
The left rock garden has some yarrow (red!), silky grass, salvia, manzanita, a fern bush, siberian pea shrub, key broom and evening primrose (oenethera macrocarpa--my new absolute favorite). For some reason my broom is the same 2" high as when I planted it in the spring, but everything else is filling in nicely. The spot gets less sun that I realized, once the birch behind it leafed out, but I think the sun these plants DO get is pretty strong and is sufficient to keep most things here happy.
 |
| Primrose. *love* |
 |
| This yarrow looks even more red in person. |
THE MIDDLE


Here you can see where I terrace little steps in along the length and planted various types of thyme on the bottom step. I also through some wildflower seeds (that I got for my birthday) in front of each raised bed, which have grown like crazy. The little purple flowers close each night, but are delightful. The others seeds have grown huge, but I have yet to see a flower...I have no idea what they are supposed to be, but I assume something will bloom before our first freeze! You can see my sitting rock at the end of the path.
So pretty. And thanks for sharing part of your garden with me! I planted it out front, and though about 1/2 of it didn't survive, the part that did is looking lovely. I'm sure it'll fill out in no time!
ReplyDeleteHow pretty! We have grand designs of ripping out the little used parts of our lawn and replacing it with conservation landscaping. Unfortunately keeps getting pushed down the priority list. Maybe this next spring? It's inspiring to see how you've transformed things though!
ReplyDeleteCarrieAnn, you are an artist in the garden as well as on paper! Lovely. Your garden could be on the cover of "Colorado Highways," or "Mountain High Gardens!"
ReplyDeleteI am so glad some of the Christmas seeds succeeded.