28 November 2013

Giving Thanks


Happy Thanksgiving!

One of my favorite holidays.  I love just being with my family and cooking and eating.  All good.

I am grateful for my husband who puts in all he has to our marriage.
  I am grateful for my kids who have such loving hearts.
I am grateful to God for His peace and love and patience and constant reaffirmation that He is there and that there is purpose to our time here on earth.
I am grateful when I feel love and understanding dissolve feelings of judgment and fear.
I am grateful for hope.

We made and ate dinner today with just the 6 six of us.  I could tell I was getting a little overstimulated at times as I was trying to prep the turkey and such and was being called on every 30 seconds by another child needing help interpreting instructions for what they were working on.  But I found my quiet place ;) ....in my head... and enjoyed the time with the kids.  With only one disaster (Sean lost hold of the key lime pie he was holding...darn bendy disposable pie tins... and it hit the floor with a satisfying thud and spewed it's contents across half of the kitchen), we declared the feast a success. 

Dressed for the occasion with my girls


The beginning of feasting...Rin was giving me a contorted stink face until I finally told her she looked constipated.  That brought out the smile. :)
 Perhaps those of you who are more observant than most, noticed that, although the plates are clean, it looks as if there are already some of the yams and stuffed mushrooms missing.  And you might have thought that odd.  Well done!  Although we ate alone, we did pack up some of our dinner to take to a friend.  Our La Grande YW president, Sandy Nelson, is down here in Aurora with her parents and most of her siblings.  Her father had a live liver transplant at the U of Colorado hospital a week or two ago, the liver being donated by her brother-in-law.  They have rented an apartment for a couple of months, as dad has to stick around until the doctors feel confident that he is accepting the liver.  As of today, both patients are 'home'(at the apartment) and looking good, but not getting around much.  It was fun to chat with Sandy's mom who, as coincidence would have it, home teaches (with her husband of course) Brandon's Aunt Irene and Uncle Jim back in Boise.

Happy Thanksgiving!


2 comments:

  1. That you list why you are grateful as well as what for, makes the thoughts powerful. I am grateful for a daughter who is loving, gracious and always blessing my life by her good example (and challenging Words).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys dress up for Thanksgiving dinner? Mom and Dad did at our house last year too. I wonder why I never remember doing that as a child.... Dinner looks lovely! Wish we could have been together.

    ReplyDelete