21 May 2012

Dinner success

It is so rare to cook something that everyone eats without complaining.  Even less rare that  ALL the kids  seem to ENJOY a dinner (boxed mac 'n' cheese doesn't count).  So imagine my surprise tonight when I came up with dinner out of the blue, trying to use up things I had around the house, and every ate with a smile on their face.  And Thomas even asked for seconds...and then thirds.  Remarkable.

Menu:
Oatmeal breaded fried swai (fish)
Green beans and corn
Apples

Makes a mom happy.

2 comments:

  1. Swai--much better than tilapia and, apparently, not as contaminated. Thanks for telling us about it. How did you bread it with oatmeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom- so we cut each fillet up into 3 pieces, coated in seasoned flour (I just used salt but could season with anything), then egg dip and then into the oatmeal (which had been food process...just to make it a little finer, not to dust), and pan fry (I used abt a 1/2 inch of oil)abt 2-3 min/side I think. So yummy. A really hearty breading that didn't seem really oily. I don't think it absorbs the oil as heavily as some breadings. They were good plain, but I also dipped mine in ketchup/horseradish sauce.

    ReplyDelete